"Frigga", "Sterz" and "Brettljause" - traditional local dishes and meals
The Karlhütte cottage at Lake Grünsee and the Våstlhütte am Sam mountain chalet
There are two rustic chalets that are part of the Hochschober hotel in the mountains. The Karlhütte cottage at Lake Grünsee is a half hour walk from the main hotel building. The Våstlhütte am Sam mountain chalet is roughly an hour away. Visit them for a rustic cottage breakfast, with local specialities Frigga omlette, Sterz pudding and Reindling pastry. Or indulge in cosy cottage suppers and the atmospheric "Advent am Berg" nights in December.
During the day, the cottages are ideal rest stops for lunch or a tea break.
Examples of some typical Austrian mountain cottage specialities
- “Kärntner Nudeln” (similar to Ravioli, but larger) with sweet or savoury fillings
At the Våstlhütte Chalet am Sam
- Various Austrian strudels
The “Brettljause” snack platter with bacon, local sausage, salami by Schader from the town of Tamsweg (produced exclusively for the Hochschober!); Glundner, Vierberge or Glantal cheese from the Tschadamerhof farm in the town of Liebensfels. Served with our homemade bread.
Refreshing juices from apples, pears and plums, produced by Liane Adenberger from Seeboden; apple cider and “Most” cider by the Stocker Frankl family from the Lavanttal Valley.
- Beer from the Carinthian Schleppe brewery.
- Harder liquor such as larch schnapps (refined with propolis), pine schnapps (made from pine cones from the Turracher Höhe), Grantnschnaps (schnapps from cranberries, homemade from an old family recipe), raspberry schnapps with lemon aroma (by Liane Adenberger from Seeboden), fruity house liquor (made from cranberries, honey, cinnamon, cloves, oranges, lemons, fresh pine sprouts).
- Hot drinks such as “Glühwein” and “Jagatee” mulled wines and spiced teas.
Would you like to experience the delights of mountain chalet cuisine during your holidays in Austria? We are look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel Hochschober.
Feel free to place a no obligation enquiry
with us here.